Tuesday, October 28, 2008

What if xmas decorations cause SAD?

I think the earlier I see xmas stuff in stores, the more the darkness affects me. It's really getting to me this year (yes, already - yes, even before daylight savings time ends), and I saw xmas cards at Shopper's LAST WEEKEND!!! BEFORE HALLOWEEN!!!

Xmas happens at literally the darkest time of the year. So I'm wondering if all this xmas stuff is adding to the psychological darkness, because the presence of xmas stuff always happened at the darkest time of the year? For the vast majority of my life, I wasn't really in malls and stores and stuff very often in the run-up to xmas. When I was a child I obviously wasn't responsible for errands, and in uni I lived on campus so I only went shopping off campus like once a week. I'd see xmas decorations at home and I'd see lights on other people's homes, sometimes they'd put up decorations in classrooms too, but this would never happen before December, right when the deepest of the darkness is firmly entrenched. But now I have to walk through a mall to get to the subway on both ends of my commute, and I'm preparing all my meals and maintaining a household so I'm buying way more stuff (groceries, toilet paper, toothpaste, etc.) And every year as I spend more time in xmas-decorated commercial environments, the darkness gets to me even more.

Can we maybe test this theory one year by keeping xmas stuff out of stores until Advent?

No comments: