Thursday, October 23, 2008

The problem with moral absolutism

Whenever I say or do or think something particularly distasteful or soul-destroying, my reaction is to comment to whomever is in earshot "I am so going to hell for that!" If this comment is overheard by someone who has never been Catholic*, they tend to reply by trying to convince me that I'm not going to hell. I then feel the need to mention, just as a point of order, that barring some deathbed recantation, I'm going to hell anyway. Which is absolutely true under the Catholic doctrine of moral absolutism. At any given point in life, if I get hit by a truck or a piano falls on my head and I don't get a chance for deathbed absolution, I'm going to hell, and there's nothing I can realistically do about it.

And people wonder why I'm a nihilist.

*The Catholics and ex-Catholics already know I'm going to hell, so there's no need for any further discussion. If they're in a small-talky mood they might comment that they'll see me there, but that's really just chitchat to fill up space.

No comments: