Thursday, October 09, 2008

The problem with abusive relationships

The problem with abusive relationships (apart from, you know, all the real problems with abusive relationships) is that they've ruined walking into doors for everyone.

Last night I actually did walk into a door. I'd left a closet door open that I normally leave closed, then I forgot about it when I went to the bathroom in the middle of the night without turning any lights on. And the only think I could think is "Shit, I hope I don't get any bruises, no one will ever believe me!" Then I lay awake trying to think of excuses for my door and come up with a convincing story that wouldn't lead anyone to conclude that I was being beaten.

Luckily I didn't have any bruising when I woke up, just a teeny little bump with no discolouration (not even a goose egg, a robin egg maybe) that no one will even notice if they're not looking for it.

2 comments:

laura k said...

I bruise really easily. My gyn nurse-practitioner asked me if I wanted to talk to a counselor.

impudent strumpet said...

At my job in uni part of my job was to move a/v equipment around to different classrooms or wherever it was needed, and I kept getting these bruises on my hips and thighs (presumably from body-checking doors or whatever, I don't actually remember getting these bruises) so doctors would ask me about that every time. The other girls who worked there got bruises too (and in exactly the same places) and had to explain them to their doctors too. But strangely none of the boys ever got bruises.