Friday, October 17, 2008

Things They Should Invent: WhatsTheWordImLookingFor.com

I have a word in mind, but I can't remember what it is. I can think of a few words that sound kind of like it (start and end with the same few letters, probably same number of syllables long) but they mean different things. I have a general sense of its meaning, but everything I look up in the thesaurus is too strong - the word I have in mind is weaker and less intense - and I can't seem to navigate through a series of thesaurus words into weaker synonyms.

I want an online dictionary with a very advanced search function. Search by letter combinations found within the word, with wildcards available. A thesaurus with the attributes of each word, where you can search for synonyms with more or less of certain attributes. Maybe even get the geniuses who taught google how to correct spelling to make a "Did you mean..." for commonly confused words. This would save a lot of twirling around in my chair and staring at the ceiling and a lot of jumping out of bed to run to the computer just as I'm about to drift off to sleep!

2 comments:

M@ said...

So onelook.com's reverse dictionary doesn't do enough for you? It allows everything you're asking for other than fuzzy search, I think, though I don't know if it combines them in the way you're talking about.

impudent strumpet said...

I find it at best no more helpful than a thesaurus, and at worst completely batshit loony. Check out what happens when you search for "all the people who were there".

(The word that was escaping me at the time was "attendees".)