Tuesday, October 07, 2008

I wish we could all see how hard things are for each other

The world would be a much better place if we could all somehow see when something is hard for another person. For example, making business phone calls is hard for me. If the person on the other end of the phone could somehow see that I'd had to screw up all my courage to make the call, they could manage their end of the interaction better. And if I could see that they hate answering the phone or they're having a really bad day or something, I could manage my end better.

Unfortunately, this is a circumstance where transparency doesn't work. With the possible exception of certain medical contexts, you can't really say "This is really hard for me and it took me a lot of courage just to call." If you do, it makes it sound like you want to be treated like you're oh so special or something.

No comments: