Friday, October 03, 2008

Now taking suggestions for a new nervous habit

I've been twirling my hair lately as a nervous habit. I seriously have no idea whatsoever when or why I started doing this or what my previous nervous habit was (I always have a nervous habit going, I can't function without one), but I'd like to stop the hair twirling because it looks ditzy.

Any thoughts on what would make a better, more respectable-looking nervous habit are welcome. Previous workable nervous habits include fiddling with my necklace (that one ended when all my necklaces broke), cracking knuckles (now not workable because there are people in the cubes near me), and twirling a pen (now not workable because I'm at a computer all day instead of in a classroom).

4 comments:

laura k said...

I've been through the broken necklaces, I am addicted to cracking my knuckles, and I also bite and/or suck on my nails, which is disastrous (and probably something you would never do).

I fear there are no good-looking nervous habits.

impudent strumpet said...

Oh I totally do the nail thing too. I just didn't put it on the list because I don't want to do it more than I already do. I've been trying to defeat it since I was like 8 years old.

An ideal nervous habit would be something that involves exercise, so if I'm bored or nervous or stimming at least I get some exercise in, but it's not like you can go from twirling your hair while sitting at the computer to lying on the floor and doing crunches.

Or maybe I should buy a bunch of those fugly $2 necklaces from Ardene and start doing the necklace thing again.

laura k said...

Oh I totally do the nail thing too. I just didn't put it on the list because I don't want to do it more than I already do. I've been trying to defeat it since I was like 8 years old.

Me too.

I wouldn't have imagined you did it, because of the tres femme look. I associate that with long, perfectly polished and manicured nails.

impudent strumpet said...

Lol, I have short messy nails that are always trying and always failing to be perfectly polished and manicured, thus symbolizing my inner turmoil and the constant epic struggle of humanity's higher aspirations toward civilization vs. our ever-present baser behaviours.