Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Voted

Today I actually had to wait in line to vote, which has never happened before. It was the most crowded polling station I've ever been at. I'm not sure if this means high turnout, or if it's just because there are at least two (and possibly as many as four) new buildings in the hood since the last election. There were a lot of young voters there (or at least people who were dressed like they'd never been to the 80s before) and so many people were en couple that I felt kinda awkward not having a date.

I didn't get to pet a doggie (every election I've ever voted in that turned out positively I got to pet an awesome doggie on the way to or from voting) but I did see six awesome doggies (including an itty bitty baby puppy, a pointy pointy greyhound, and a little guy with the floppiest ears I've ever seen). I don't know how many awesome doggie sightings make up for one petting. I also saw like half a dozen cute babies/toddlers, but they don't seem to influence the outcome of elections.

I also saw scrutineers for the first time ever (unless they were there before and I didn't notice them). I saw three Conservative scrutineers and none from other parties. My riding is universally considered a safe Liberal riding.

I wish they timed the election returns better. The Atlantic returns come in, and then it's hours and hours until the rest of the country happens. Why not either everything at once, or staggered more regularly so there's a constant stream of results coming through?

Or I wish there were some way to let people who've already voted access the blacked-out information from other time zones. I've already voted! They can't influence me! Let me watch the returns!

No comments: