Monday, October 20, 2008

Teach me social conventions

When someone says "I haven't seen you in a while" but I didn't go anywhere and have just been going about life normally and happen to have not crossed paths with them, what kind of response are they expecting? I can't think of anything to say that doesn't sound idiotic or snarky.

I'm getting this question from people I normally cross paths with when going about everyday life (non-immediate co-workers, random neighbours, food service workers) but with whom I don't have any particular social relationship and don't actively spend time with.

3 comments:

laura k said...

They're probably expecting something along the lines of, "Yeah, it's been a long time, how have you been?" or "Good to see you, what have you been up to?" Does that help?

impudent strumpet said...

I can totally use that! Thanks!

laura k said...

Cool!