Sunday, May 25, 2008

What I want my elected officials to do with my emails

This started with this article and then went off on a tangent.

When I write to my elected officials, I don't care one bit about whether they send me the standard reply or not. I know that the standard reply is nothing more than an acknowledgement of receipt, and it's completely meaningless to me.

What I really want is for the elected official to look at and actually think about anything that I've introduced in my email that's new to them. See, a lot of the time, I get the impression that they've reduced the issue to A vs. B, and they're set up to deal with people writing in and saying "A! A! A!" and other people writing in and saying "B! B! B!" But a lot of the time I write in and say "Hey, I have a better idea, why not C?" or I say "Actually, here's why A is a better choice to achieve the B people's goals," or I say "Both options would be unfeasible for people who don't have cars, so you should do something about that." I want anything new or extra that I introduce into the debate to make its way to the elected official's brain, and I never get the impression that this has happened.

No comments: