Monday, May 26, 2008

Things They Should Invent: retirement homes that AREN'T like high school socially

Apparently retirement homes are like high school.

So someone fix this! Redesign it! Rethink it! Give people more privacy! Locate it somewhere within an easy (for seniors!) walk to amenities and transit so residents aren't dependenton the retirement home to provide their social life!

This only increases my determination to deteriorate and die in my own apartment, forgotten and unnoticed, my automatic pension deposits (if pensions still exist) feeding my automatic rent withdrawal, until someone starts noticing a smell. I quite deliberately left the fishbowl, there's no way I'm going back.

It is possible to make institutional environments not like high school. I lived and worked on campus throughout my undergrad, but I didn't feel like I was in the fishbowl. I can't articulate why it worked, but it did. So someone better figure out how to do the same thing with retirement homes.

2 comments:

laura k said...

God do I ever, ever agree. I'm thinking suicide pact with my sweetie will be the only way to go.

I also felt this series was demeaning and condescending in the first place, acting like "old people" is some alien species. As opposed to every human being who lives long enough.

impudent strumpet said...

I think euthanasia's legal in Netherlands, you could go there. The next level in medical tourism or something.

I wasn't getting the sense that it was condescending, but I wasn't paying that much attention to their portrayal of the people. I was paying more attention to the situation and imagining myself in it. (Yes, myself, not my grandmothers or parents - I know, ego ego ego.)