Friday, May 02, 2008

The creepiest picture of Miley Cyrus I have ever seen

Some people have been raising a fuss because there's a picture of Miley Cyrus that suggests that she might be nude under all the cloth that's covering her, but I find this picture much creepier. (It's perfectly SFW, it's a Toronto Star article.) Why? Because of the location of her right hand. She has her right hand on her father's torso.

Now intellectually I realize this sort of thing varies from person to person, but viscerally I'm cringing and squeaming, because I cannot imagine any circumstances under which I'd put my hand on a person's torso like that, unless my intentions were prurient. Putting your arms around each other for a picture, no big deal. A full-on hug, perfectly fine. Small kisses, I can think of dozen contexts in which that's appropriate. Stroking their arm or their back in a moment of sympathy, perfectly normal. Even grabbing their legs, if I'm sitting across from them and they say something that makes me lean forward and squee I could see that happening. But, apart from feeling a baby kick, a hand on a torso simply would never happen in a non-sexual context. If for some reason I had to pose for a picture with my hand on the other person's torso, I don't think I could even strike that pose without making a sultry facial expression.

Snogging a stranger (which, if you're just tuning is, is something I'm not at all into) would be more comfortable for me than putting my hand on a relative's torso. I think perhaps grabbing a relative's butt as a joke would be more comfortable than putting my hand on their torso. Being photographed nude attractively and tastefully would be more comfortable than being photographed with my hand on my father's torso. So yeah, that picture creeps me out.

5 comments:

laura k said...

Huh. I probably posed that way with my father dozens of times, as did my sibs.

I slow-danced with my father (he was a great dancer and taught me how to dance), so we would have held each other's torsos. And there was totally nothing sexual about it, no incest or the suggestion of incest, or anything like that.

Like you said, it must be a personal thing, or perhaps cultural.

I like this: "suggests that she might be nude under all the cloth that's covering her". :)

impudent strumpet said...

Dancing is different, because the hand is on the side or the back of the torso, and for a specific purpose. But the hand on the front of the torso just makes me go noooooooooo for some reason I can't articulate.

Anonymous said...

I take it you haven't seen this picture then?

http://gothamist.com/attachments/jen/2008_04_mileybilly.jpg

Anonymous said...

I take it you haven't seen this picture then? I think it trumps the other one on the creepy scale.

http://gothamist.com/attachments/jen/2008_04_mileybilly.jpg

impudent strumpet said...

That's just...what were they thinking?