Thursday, May 29, 2008

How far do I stick it in? (or: teach me how to wear noise-cancelling earbuds)

So I've got noise-cancelling earbuds, and I'll review them after I've used them for a couple of days. But first, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to be wearing them. I can just sort of rest them on my external ear without much thought or effort, and they work just like normal earbuds. But if I stick them in my ear a bit more, they're like wearing earplugs. If I talk, I can hear it inside my head way more than outside my head, and I can't tell how loud I'm talking. I can hardly hear myself type. (Although I did just hear my cellphone's text message beep with the earbuds stuck all the way in.)

It could be useful to have both these two options. But am I actually supposed to stick the earbuds in so far that it blocks out a significant portion of the exterior sound of me talking? Or do I just somehow have freakishly large ear canals and have managed to get my earbuds in farther than is safe?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are supposed to wear them like ear plugs. That is what makes them noise canceling. It is odd at first but you do get used to it.

As an added bonus you shouldn't have to turn the volume up so much when using them so you'll be able to use your iPod a little longer.

Anonymous said...

open your mouth wide, point the bud down into your ear towards the inside of your mouth and then turn the bud up towards the front of your face and towards the sky

impudent strumpet said...

Hmmm, this was a poorly thought out plan. Now I have to decide whether to take advice from total strangers on how to stick things in my ears.