Sunday, May 11, 2008

Does laminate flooring cause holes in socks?

My previous apartment had parquet floors. My current apartment has laminate flooring. Ever since I moved here, I noticed my socks and slippers have been developing holes much faster. A quick google on the subject suggests that some commercial-grade laminate cause holes in socks because they are rough, but that isn't the case here. The floor could not be smoother, and the holes aren't snaggy holes, it's that the socks are wearing out under the ball of my foot, where most of my weight goes (and where my feet are most callusy). I'm no heavier now than I was in the previous apartment and I don't know of any change to my walking patterns. Could it be that something about laminate floors makes my socks feel the weight of my tread more?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only difference I can think of is that laminate floors have a soft foam underlay, which allows the floor some give. I don't know how that would affect sock life--for better or for worse.

Wanda said...

Same here. Just put in the flooring in August and all of my socks getting heel holes. I’ve never put holes in my sock before.