Sunday, January 23, 2005

Then I was inspired...now I'm sad and tired...

Logically I know that what I need to do to learn a new language is steadily work ahead. I've formally studied four other languages before, and I've got this down to a science. I need to read the material we'll be covering in class before class, and do some work, reading or studying every day. I also need to be constantly reviewing for the next test, so all the material on the test will seem blatently obvious to me come test time.

The problem is I don't wanna!

I just can't motivate myself to do the work I need to do. It isn't that hard, just reading my notes aloud to myself so I can internalize them, but I don't wanna. Since I'm not pursing a degree, it really doesn't matter how well or poorly I do, and really I'd rather read or play computer games.

I guess that's the problem with full-year courses. If this were two half-courses, I would still be motivated by the bright optimism that comes with starting a brand new class. But as it is, we're halfway through, it's the dead of winter, I'm doing okay as it is (thanks mostly to bonus marks), and aren't there just so many wonderful and fascinating things on the internet to get distracted by! And I guess the fact that I have a job has something to do with it too. When you've already put in an eight-hour day, some of which was spend doing the impossible, you don't feel like as much of a slacker even if you do completely neglect your studies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now I have to go home and watch Jesus Christ Superstar.

And if I misinterpreted your title - just ignore me...