Sunday, January 16, 2005

Jackson-Triggs Proprietor's Reserve Chardonnay

I read an article not too long ago about how Ontario growers had a bad year recently and are therefore allowed to mix other grapes into their non-VQA wines. The article postulated that we should therefore buy only VQA Ontario wines for the next season or so. Now my palate is not refined enough to tell that there's something particularly wrong with non-VQA wines, but tasting J-T Proprietor's Reserve reminded me of why VQA can be so much better.

Basically, this wine has everything I like in a chardonnay, all perfectly balanced, wtih nothing that I don't like in a chardonnay. On a quick gulp it is smooth and buttery and extremely easy to drink. On a slow, deliberate taste it has apples and pears and all those lovely green fruit tastes along with toastiness and vanilla and creaminess and all those things that make chardonnay comfy. I'm not entirely sure and I don't have any popcorn on hand to check, but I think this would go marvelously with buttered popcorn. (As well as most fish, but I don't care about that).

This one has now rocketed to the top of my "to bring as a hostess gift" list.

No comments: