Thursday, January 20, 2005

Lakeview Cellars Riesling

I decided to try this wine because Gord Stimmell, the Toronto Star's wine critic, said it had peachy flavours in it, and I wanted to see how a wine managed to be peachy without being one of those wretched "flavoured wines".

Well, it does in fact have peachy/apricoty undertones. I never would have been able to put a name on it myself, but where most Rieslings are dry and limey, this one is peachy. And it's the flavour of a real peach, not fake peach! This gives is a sort of nectary sweetness (even though it has a zero sugar rating) and a warmth that evokes summer without evoking "refreshing drink for keeping one cool," making it enjoyable for sipping indoors in cold weather. I've never actually felt a cold drink was suitable for sipping in cold weather before!

Of course, the outside of the bottle doesn't betray any of these delights. The glass on the bottle is green and the label is nondescript. I doubt I would ever have given the bottle a second glance if the description hadn't intrigued me, so yeah, book, cover, blah blah blah fishcakes.

No comments: