Monday, January 31, 2005

A poll: how much did you learn in school about the origins of life?

I've been noticing in my perhipheral vision that people are still debating whether or how evolution or creationism should be taught in schools.

This raises a question, and I'd like the feedback of anyone who might be reading this:

Exactly how much instruction on the origins of earth and the origins of life did you receive in school?

Because in my experience, there simply wasn't enough time devoted to it to make it worthy of such a debate.

I remember we watched a video on the Big Bang in grade 5. I was religious at the time, and at first I was moderately perplexed that it differed from the biblical account, but by the end of the video I was able to reconcile the two in my head. I simply decided that this whole Big Bang thing was how God had created the universe. I seem to recall that at the end of the video there was a brief mention of the fact that no one knows this for certain and it disagrees with some religious teachings, and I remember thinking (although not in such grown-up words) "Why? This is perfectly compatible with religion, it's simply science's best speculation on God's methodology."

Sometime after that I internalized the whole evolution and Darwin thing. I don't think it was taught in school, I don't know where I picked it up, but by the time it came up in class I was already quite familiar with Darwin and natural selection and that diagram of a thing crawling out of the sea and becoming a lizard and becoming an ape and becoming a person (who was always using a walking stick for some reason).

The next time it came up in school was in grade 11 Ancient Civilizations. We touched briefly on Lucy the Australopithecus and other findings of pre-human ancestors, and the whole problem of the Missing Link was mentioned. We didn't look at this in any great depth - perhaps two days were spent on it - because it was basically a tee-up to the fact that the earliest humans lived in the fertile crescent between the Tigris and the Euphrates. We did touch on various ancient civilizations' creation myths at various points throughout the year, but that was mostly to help contextualize their religions. Any creation myths of any religions practised by any of the students in the class were beyond the scope of the course.

Anyway, my point is that no more than three class periods of my educational career (in Ontario public schools in the 80s and 90s) were spent on anything that might touch on evolution vs. creationism, so I'm wondering if my experience was vastly different than average, or vastly different from the American experience.

So my poll for anyone reading this: where and when did you go to school, and how much attention was given to the origins of the universe and/or human life in your curriculum?

1 comment:

Fran said...

>Anyway, my point is that no more than three class periods of my educational career (in Ontario public schools in the 80s and 90s) were spent on anything that might touch on evolution vs. creationism, so I'm wondering if my experience was vastly different than average, or vastly different from the American experience.<

Despite our ~20-year age difference, I think your experience is just about identical to mine in North Dakota public schools, right down to the diagram of the sea thing-lizard-ape-early man with walking stick.

The classes I had that touched on it at all did not have the time (and I don't think the teachers had the inclination) to get bogged down in evolution-versus- creation, or anything else, for long. You get a brief feel for an idea and then they turn the page, on to the next topic.

I think evolution-versus-creation makes for an easily-sensationalized public policy debate. But in a practical, real world "impact on a student" sense, it seems to me to be about as close to a non-issue as it gets.

Fran