Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Another strange job dream

Last night I had a dream where, in addition to my current (fulltime, professional) job, I still had my first job (parttime, fast food) because I had forgotten to quit. I suddenly remembered that I hadn't been in to work for 18 months since I started my current job, so I went in to the fast-food restaurant to straighten things out. I walked in and started counting out my float - still in civies, without changing into my uniform - and the employees (who were all new people because of the high turnover) kept asking me who I was. Then the owner came up, greeted me brightly, and started showing me all these new ways of doing things, with no mention of my absence. I went to the back and looked at the schedule, and it was in some code I didn't understand, and didn't explicitly mention the times that people were scheduled. Surprisingly, I was still on the schedule. I asked the owner how to read the new schedule, and she mentioned in passing that I hadn't been in for quite a while. I decided to be honest, and admitted that, while this is really stupid of me, I had gotten another job and completely forgotten that I had this one. The owner was super nice about it, saying "You know, my brother did the exact same thing!" (which is totally out of character for her). I then began considering giving my two weeks notice, since I didn't really need this job any more and the commute was a bit excessive. But I was hesitant to do so because you don't just quit jobs!

When I woke up it took me a moment to get my bearings and remember that I had, in fact, quit that job 4.5 years ago when I moved to Toronto.

This is at least the second dream I've had in the past month where I've had an extremely entry-level job in addition to my current job, and while I was tempted to quit it there was a lot of pressure not it. I'm kind of concerned about what this might mean...

No comments: