Tuesday, January 25, 2005

The benefits of unique headwear, and other stories

Today at work I felt like the crappitiest crap ever crapped. I was tired and grumpy and couldn't concentrate or focus. My eyes were tired and breathing was way too much work. I'd decided that I was going to go home sick. I could hear that my boss was on the phone, so I closed my eyes for just a moment while I waited for him to get off the phone so I could tell him I was going home sick. An epic saga then unfolded before my eyes involving waterfowl and catholicism and preposition usage. Battles were won and lost, dynasties rose and fell, the history of a galaxy played itself out. Suddenly the beep of someone swiping a security card startled me out of my REM sleep. It was 10 minutes later, and I felt bright-eyed and re-energized, like I could take on the world. Most efficient nap ever! (Although I still decided to skip class today anyway).

This winter I'm wearing a red wool cloche hat. It's been really cold for quite a long time, so I've been wearing this had for many days in a row. Because of this hat, the people in stores and stuff are starting to recognize me. I'm all "The Lady With The Funny Hat" now.

I inadvertently bought $8 nail polish today (I didn't see the price, assumed it was similar to the price of the other polishes, and didn't find out how much it cost until I got to the checkout). I'm so going to hell for that. To add insult to injury, it's only 11 mL (compared with 14 mL for my usual polish), and you need two THICK coats to get decent colour! On the bright side, my toenails are now the most fascinating shade of blue ever!

I got this ad in the mail "Why rent when you can own?" It was advertising mortgage rates from some bank. They had done their audience targeting well - on the list of mortgage rates and the corresponding monthly payments, the highlighted amount was the base cost of some of the new condos they're builing in this area, and the monthly payment was very close to what I'm paying in rent. However, the asterisks next to the amount of the principle (or is it principal in this case?) led to a footnote that said "Including the cost of private mortgage insurance." So I can't get ~$150,000 worth of condo for what I'm paying in rent, I could only get less than that because of the mortgage insurance thing. And people wonder why I'm waiting to save up for a 25% downpayment!

One more thing I forgot: this salon near me is advertising how they can give you Donald Trump's hairdo. And they're trying to sell it in that it's sexy! GAH! Let me make this perfectly clear: Donald Trump is not capable of being sexy! Even if he were, all the sexiness potential he might have had would have been eliminated completely by the whole serial trophy wife thing. (It's times like this I wish we had a proper subjunctive in English). Let this be a warning to anyone who was even considering this: emulate Donald Trump, and you will be like a north magnet in a sea of north magnets.

No comments: