Thursday, January 13, 2005

Jacob's Creek Chardonnay Pinot Noir

This wine was recommended a while back and I put it on my "to try" list just to see what a white/red blend is like, but I could never find it in-store. Today I happened to notice it while looking for something else - turns out it's a sparkling wine, so it was in the champagne section, not the Australian wines section!

It's corked like a champagne bottle, so there are the same difficulties with opening it. The wine itself is golden in colour - you can see the chardonnay, but there's no visual hint of the pinot noir. The taste is kind of like sparkling apple cider, richer and fruitier than shampagne. If you concentrate, you can taste the pinot noir undertones, but I think if someone had handed me a glass of this without telling me what it is, I wouldn't think of that particular taste as a red wine taste. I'm not sure how I feel about it being bubbly though. The taste is kind of incongruous with the bubbles, and I don't know if the bubble were a necessary part of the process, or if they thought the bubbles would add to the experience. I suppose I could let a glass go flat and see how that affects the taste, but that would require time and planning.

This would probably be good if you want a sparkling wine but don't like the dry taste of most bruts, or if you want a cheap alternative sparkling wine. I've never had real champagne, so I can't tell you how that compares, but I'd imagine it's not intended to compare.

No comments: