Friday, July 25, 2003

Qqch me manque et je ne sais exactement quoi. I don't mean overall, I just mean right now. I have my comfort food and Harry Potter and merlot and a warm flood of sunlight coming in my window, that should be able to cheer me up, right? But it isn't working.

It's weird how Harry Potter usually cheers me up though. Those books are so comfortable. The story arc is nice and formulaic - he starts out at the Dursleys', generally pops over to see the Weasleys, goes to Hogwarts on the train, new Defence Against Dark Arts teacher, some Quidditch, a hint of bad guys, xmas, more bad guys, more Quidditch, a battle against Voldemort or some incarnation thereof, usually a trip to the hospital and a nice chat with Dumbledore, then back home on the train to start all over again. But the plots are always full of nice twists and turns despite the formulaic pattern. It does comfort me though. Some days I'll just read every Quidditch match in his Hogwarts career. Sometimes I'll read every chat with Dumbledore. Every time I go back through an old book, I find new clues of what might happen next. When I need to clear my head at work, I wonder if Ron and Hermione might end up together (it seems like the tee-up to that is too obvious, but a Sidekick Gets the Girl plot would be a refreshing change), and whether Harry will end up with Ginny or with Luna (who must have been introduced, and made female, for a reason). Or maybe Luna will end up with Neville. Or Ginny with Neville! Of course, we'll probably never find out since Hogwarts only goes up to grade 12. Unless there's a second series following Harry to Auror school. Wouldn't it be something if J.K. Rowling threw us a twist and ended the series with Voldemort killing Harry? Then Ron and Hermione could get married and become Aurors and work on overthrowing Voldemort, with Hermione being the l33t one and Ron being the bumbling sidekick.

No comments: