Wednesday, July 23, 2003

I hate it when things have mandatory surcharges, and they don't include them in the price. It's just like sales tax - why don't they include sales tax on price tags instead of making you calculate 15% in your head (which sounds easy, but quick - what's 15% of $3.69?) and add it to the list price? The phone company says they charge $19.93 for a residential line, but there are mandatory Touch Tone and 911 fees on top of that, plus PST and GST. Wouldn't it be easier if they just gave you the final price? I know I tend to get really pissed off when in the back of my head I'm thinking "Okay, it's under $20" and it ends up being closer to $30. Same thing with a long-distance plan I was considering. ONLY $1 SERVICE CHARGE PER MONTH they trumpet, and then the fine print mentions that there's a $2.95 network fee. I'd much rather they be upfront and say that it's $4 including all fees and let me decide with that information!

Come to think of it, they should do the same thing with income taxes. You hear what your salary is, and your paycheque comes back with 2/3 of what you were expecting. Of course everyone expects this now, but I'd imagine everyone would be a lot less bitter about paying taxes if they just told you what your salary after tax would be and had the employer pay your income tax directly to the government without it passing through your expectations first.

No comments: