Saturday, July 19, 2003

I need a project. I'm all settled, I've got my job, I've got everything I intended to get for my apartment, I'm all ready to start living my life.

Now I need to figure out what I want to do with my life. I need to be working towards something, and something achievable, not just "save up enough money for a down payment on a condo and vertical blinds and cream-coloured furniture for said condo." Up until now, my goals and projects have always been laid out for me. Now I need to make up my own. I need a five year plan. But if I made up a five year plan, it would be just for the sake of making up a plan. I have nothing that I really want to accomplish within the next five years. Marriage would be nice, but isn't necessary within the next five years. The same with a condo. The same with getting an MA, earning two promotions, achieving fluency in Spanish and Polish, running a six minute mile and bench-pressing my body weight, and being published. All of that would be nice, but if I don't accomplish it within five or ten or twenty years my life won't be any worse. I guess this means I'm content. But I do always need something to be working towards.

No comments: