Saturday, July 26, 2003

I told myself that my treat for getting through the week would be a nice sleep-in this morning. I went to bed last night, snuggled up with my covers and stuffed animals, and closed my eyes with the intention of not opening them until they opened themselves.

I woke up at 8:47 a.m. All by myself. I must be getting old.

I've been doing some thinking and figuring stuff out, and I think I've figured out a rough financial strategy for my life. I've discovered that I will be retiring at age 55, so this has led me to decide to start working out. What's the connection between those two clauses? As I look up my family tree, I realize that I am most likely going to live at least to 100, maybe even 110. So since I've got 40-50 years of being an old retired person, and I want to spend as little of this time as possible being frail and hobbled. So I'm going to start doing some light cardio, a bit of yoga to stretch my already feeble limbs and joints, and hopefully eventually some weight training. Right now I think just doing push-ups is enough weight training, but I'm hoping to acquire some light hand weights (10-25 lbs, nothing serious). In the back of my mind I'd like arms like Serena Williams, but this is never going to happen for someone as sedentary as me. (Although there is a weight machine in the basement, but I hate going down there because it's a basement, and also there are too many frat boys and creepy old men in this building and they have as much right to walk into the weight room as I do.) Anyway, once I get in some sort of shape I might move up to distance running or biking and real weights, but I think the point right now is to get myself in reasonable cardiovasular shape and build some flexibility and muscle tone, as a long-term investment.

But enough about me! I have a question about child-rearing! Are kids who are out of diapers and can walk (as opposed to toddle) supposed to be in strollers? I've seen a few 4-year-olds in strollers lately, and this seems weird to me. I don't know anything about kids, but it looks funny to have a kid in a stroller whose legs are skinny (as opposed to baby-chubby) and who can talk in sentences. I'm trying to think back, but I can't remember at what age we stopped being in strollers. Although I know I was 3 when I started Montessori school, so I couldn't have been in a stroller then. You don't pick up your kid from school and put them in a stroller! Or maybe I'm reading the age of these kids wrong - maybe they're 2 or 3, but they are definitely not toddlers.

No comments: