Wednesday, July 09, 2003

Now that I get two newspapers a day, I'm less inclined to read the comics online. I get most of my favourite comics in the newspapers, and it seems more pointless to go to the comics sites just for one or two strips.

I also find I don't know how to visit my parents as an adult. My mother's birthday is coming up so I should probably go visit. As a student, I would throw all my laundry in a bag, get on the GO bus, and call for a ride home from the GO when I arrived. When I got home I'd throw all my laundry in the washer, eat some home-cooked food and read newspapers, and enjoy such privileges as TV and a bathtub and use of a kitchen.

But now I have a bathtub and use of a kitchen every day. I don't have TV but I'm working on it (I have A TV, and I will have TV as soon as I can arrange for someone I trust to wait for the cable guy for me) and when I do have TV I will have a better selection of channels than my parents do. I have home-cooked food whenever I want, I get newspapers to my door every day (and, since I picked them myself, the newspapers I get are much better than the newspapers my parents get). I still have to pay to do laundry, but now that I'm earning a professional salary (albeit entry-level) it isn't worth lugging all my laundry home just to save six bucks.

So it looks like I'm going to visit for a day. How do I do that? Seriously, it's a whole different dynamic. When I would stay there overnight I could just do my thing, whatever, chat with people if I felt like it and go to my room if I didn't. But what do I do when I'm there for just one day? And how long do I stay, considering that my commute is probably 1.5 hours each way?

No comments: