Sunday, February 27, 2005

Serendipitous nail colour

There are two shades of nail polish that I generally wear on my fingernails, depending on the condition of my nails. These are Revlon Quicksand, which is a neutral matte, and Sally Hansen Prima Donna, which is a sheer frosted neutral, with a slight hint of glitter.

Today as I set about doing my nails for the coming week, I noticed that I was running low on both colours. I typically do two coats, so today I decided to do a coat of Quicksand followed by a coat of Prima Donna.

They look so good together! Quicksand provides a smooth monochromatic base, so you can't see where the pink and white parts of my nails start and end like you usually can with Prima Donna alone. And the frosting and glitter of Prima Donna reflect light in a way that is not perfectly smooth, which helps conceal any flaws that occur better than the flat plastic matte of Quicksand.

The result is neutral, shiny, and slightly metallic looking. The casual bystander might not notice that I'm wearing nail colour at all, but the look helps conceal the uneven length and quality of my nails and hide any flaws that might occur, while looking kind of shiny and funky should anyone care to look. If I were to go to a formal event or a rave or appear on television or have to go to a funeral, I would not need to change my nail colour at all. It's the perfect camouflage!

No comments: