Saturday, February 26, 2005

Things that worry me about the recent federal budget

The recent federal budget contained a provision for National Defence to hire 5,000 new regular troops and 3,000 new reservists.

Question: where do they intend to get these people from? I've never heard of the military turning down any qualified willing new recruit, and it's not like they have a hiring freeze or anything - I pass by my local recruiting centre every day and it look like they've always been trying to actively recruit. This terrifies me. While I am an anti-military pacifist, I am very desireable to the military on paper, what with my communications and technical experience. Might I be forceably seconded to the military? If I lose my job, might I be denied employment benefits and other social assistance if I refuse to betray my principles?

It just occurred to me that this is something I should be asking the minister of defence.

No comments: