Saturday, February 26, 2005

Benches are the window to humanity

My local supermarket is in a mall. Outside the supermarket (but inside the mall) there are some wooden benches. Everyone heads straight for these benches as they leave the supermarket and uses them for various things. For example, today I left the supermarket, walked over to a bench, and put my purchases on the bench as I changed my hairstyle and put on a hat and cleaned my sunglasses and located my gloves, all in preparation for going outside. On the other half of my bench, and older couple was sorting through a dozen or so grocery bags so that the bags and the weight would be distributed evenly between the two of them. On the bench next to me, a mother made funny faces and noises at her baby in an attempt to prevent it from bursting into tears at the dread prospect of being put into a snowsuit. Next to her, a supermarket employee sat with his head cradled in his hands, trying to decompress before his 15-minute break ended.

Someone should make a short film made entirely of clips of people at these benches.

No comments: