Monday, February 21, 2005

Mysterious voicemail messages

On my home, work and cellphone voicemails I've lately been getting a lot of voicemail messages that either sound like hangups or like a person's cellphone accidentally dialing a number because it's been jostled in a pocket. The strange thing is that these appear to be coming from a toll-free number. Whenever I press 5 to see who the call is from, it says "866-785-0030". This number is ungoogleable and doesn't show up in reverse lookup, and what with the strep throat and all I haven't yet been up late enough to call back and see what it is (I don't want to reach a real person, I want to reach voicemail or a menu). It's all very bizarre. I wonder if it's a kind of marketing ploy - they just leave these random accidental-sounding messages and wait for people to call back and see who the hell they are...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I dial it, I get a "this number has been disconnected or is no longer in service" message.

impudent strumpet said...

Further research was conducted from Toronto phone numbers. Turns out it belongs to a call centre called something like "Inspired Contact Centres". So it's just failed telemarketing.

Anonymous said...

At least it wasn't the mob!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much! I looked everywhere to figure out who this ICC was and why they never said anything when I answered. Then your blog came up and the answer was right there. I thought I was going crazy.

Thankful in Sault Ste. Marie

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem. If you call back you get a menu, then you can specify to be added to a "Do not call list". I just did this. Let's hope they stop calling. :)

Anonymous said...

same thing happened to me many times,
glad someone has answer.
:D

Anonymous said...

Hey, I have been receiving calls from that same number which is how I found you.

I'm in Mississauga which is next to Toronto.

It's a rather odd situation...This thing keeps calling here.

Anyways at least the mystery is solved.

Husker Fox

Anonymous said...

If anyone finds out information about the precise company that is responsible for these irritating messages, PLEASE send an email to jetessence@hotmail.com with any information that you have. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

hey i live in barrie and the number started phoneing us on wensday the 5th and they phone everyday like wtf well thanks to your blog now i know who it is and stuff thanks

Anonymous said...

Call 416-783-1431 use option 2 to get on the "do not call list"