Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Things Wikipedia Should Invent: stop trying to be encyclopedic

I love Wikipedia. It always seems to contain exactly the scope of information I'm looking for. However, its attempts to be encyclopedic are undermining its usefulness. For example, apart from protecting living persons, I don't think the notability rule should exist. Apart from obscure translation-related purposes, the most use I get out of Wikipedia is finding small information. Who was this song written about? What is the significance of this pop culture reference? Most of this isn't Notable, but it is what I'm looking for.

I also wish they'd stop eliminating trivia sections. Even when the trivia sections don't contain the precise information I'm looking for, they (and things along the same spirit) are the parts of Wikipedia that are most likely to make me go "This is AWESOME!" (as opposed to "Yes, I see.")

Storage is dirt cheap, text has a negligible effect on bandwidth, there's room to make Wikipedia infinite. While I do see the point of being encyclopedic in style, using encyclopedic standards to limit content simply is not an improvement.

No comments: