Friday, August 15, 2008

If you feel the need to make a friends forever pact, you're too immature to get married

I am the same age as Elizabeth Patterson, so I can tell you on the best of authority that this is not age-appropriate behaviour.

I do have a few very awesome friends with whom I very much hope to remain friends forever, and I cannot imagine any circumstances under which we'd be moved to make a friends forever pact. Occasionally we do sit back and marvel at how long we've been friends, but we'd never make a pact about being friends in the future. We just do it.

Actually, maybe that's what this is commenting on. A friends forever pact is the sort of thing you'd find in like Baby-sitters Club, where they can't imagine a bigger world than the one they inhabit now, but you know they'll have gone their separate ways by the end of grade 9. Come to think of it, Elizabeth hasn't seen Dawn and Shawna Marie on camera outside their own weddings (although we don't often get to see her IM/email conversations) so maybe they aren't as friends as they think they are, and maybe, despite her sojourns to university and on the reserve, her world hasn't gotten bigger yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you getting impatient for the wedding itself already? I am, a little.

But I don't really blame the creator for really working one of the Big Occasions in Life for all it's worth.

impudent strumpet said...

I found the whole wedding plot a bit trite and wish fulfillment on Lynn's part, so it wasn't doing much for me. And some of the individual strips seemed way phoned in (Grampa has a heart attack and we devote a strip to people getting into a car to set up really weak word play?)

But I like the Grampa plot, I'm hoping it goes somewhere interesting instead of descending into complete schmaltz. I'd love to be surprised at this point.