Saturday, August 30, 2008

Possible new academic year resolution

My new year's anti-resolution is working well, so I'm considering starting another for September, because after 19 years of my life spent in school it's still the psychological new year.

Potential resolution: when shopping or considering a new purchase or new ongoing spending, I don't have to worry about good value for money, I don't have to worry about whether I'm getting screwed over price-wise. All I have to do is stay in the black. As long as I don't fall into the red, I can spend whatever money I want on whatever I want. If I feel after the fact I didn't get my money's worth, I don't have to buy it next time.

I'm not sure if I'm going to go with this resolution. It feels risky, but I think it would reduce stress.

One thing I love about being a grownup and living alone is that when I do decide to make some kind of change in my day to day life, I can just quietly do it without telling anyone. (Yes, I know I blog some of them. I don't blog all of them.) When I was a kid, I'd usually have to tell my mother if only for logistical reasons, which made me feel like both my idea and my ability to execute my idea are up for scrutiny. I like being able to do things without anyone noticing.

3 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

Well you've just told me. The trick is to worry before you make the purchase. Once you've spent the cash it's water under the bridge. So yes, your resolution has some merit.

laura k said...

I loved your last anti-resolution, and I love this one too!

Since I was raised by The World's Cheapest Person, I made it a quest to teach myself the same thing. I don't have to get the best deal, I don't have to worry if there's a better deal elsewhere.

And because my income fluctuates a lot, I don't even have to stay in the black. I have planned excursions into red, then pay them off.

It is risky, but (and?) I love it.

Being a grownup rocks.

impudent strumpet said...

I'm not sure if I'm going to go with it. In retrospect, I think the wine wrote it. Although I did meet some purple shoes that want to be my friends...