Saturday, August 02, 2008

Hot wet dirty hardcore prescriptivism

"...aux adjoints aux directeurs généraux..."

I paused, leaned back, folded my arms and smirked.

My text prattled on for a moment before it realized I had stopped, then turned and looked at me questioningly.

I raised an eyebrow. "Do you realize what you just did?"

My text furrowed its brow, mentally replaying the last couple of phrases, until a look of realization dawned. "Oh shit..."

I leaned forward, making my voice low and dangerous. "And you realize what I have to do to you now?"

My text just stared up at me, wide-eyed.

I smiled evilly. "Come on, you know I don't make the rules," I said, wielding my usage handbook. "And besides," I added, googling up several hundred precedents, "Everyone's doing it!"

My text still didn't look convinced.

I leaned in close and whispered "Listen, just between you and me, I've never had an opportunity to do this before." I looked it right in the eyes. "Don't you want to be my first?"

My text's eyes were still wide and apprehensive, but it nodded its assent.

"Excellent." I licked my lips. "Now just sit back and relax, and I'll do this as gently as I can."

I reached down, warily at first but soon gaining more confidence, and typed "...the Directors General's assistants."

2 comments:

laura k said...

Any point in explaining this to the non-langlings?

impudent strumpet said...

Nopes, just silliness.