Wednesday, August 13, 2008

How insecurity works

I looked good as I was leaving for work today. My makeup worked, making my complexion look smooth and my eyes look big and bright and my teeth look white. My hair was clean and shiny and mostly obediant, staying in a sleek and flattering style. The cut and colour of my clothes was just right, and my undergarments were doing their job very nicely underneath.

That was 16 hours ago.

Now my hair is starting to look oily again. It's braided in a way that's completely unflattering but good for sleeping. I'm wearing no makeup, there are splotches of zit cream on my zits and wrinkle cream on my wrinkles, and the circles under my eyes are darker than usual. I'm wearing an old t-shirt in an unflattering cut and colour, mostly because it's convenient to sleep in. My upper lip is hinting that it might want to be waxed sometime soon, and my teeth are suggesting that I ask the dentist about the whitening options available.

When I look in the mirror now, I can't see the person who was looking back at me 16 hours ago. But when I looked in the mirror 16 hours ago, I could still see the person who's looking back at me now. And when I picture myself in a situation where I need to look good, it's the now version that comes immediately to mind, oily and oozing in a big old t-shirt surrounded by perfectly coiffed beautiful people.

No comments: