Sunday, July 19, 2009

Was Dufferin Mall actually ghetto?

Apparently they've just finished renovating Dufferin Mall to make it less "ghetto".

Was it actually ghetto before? Or is that just how the target audience of the Globe and Mail's Style section would perceive it?

Ever since I moved to Toronto I've been going there a couple of times a year for when I need to go to Walmart, and I would never have described it as ghetto. It's certainly not posh, more serviceable and working class. But that's to be expected from somewhere that I'm going for the express purpose of going to Walmart. I'd never describe it as ghetto - Dufferin Mall:my usual haunts::Bloor line:Yonge line. Surely there are far more ghetto places in the city?

2 comments:

laura k said...

Was it actually ghetto before? Or is that just how the target audience of the Globe and Mail's Style section would perceive it?

I don't know that area, but I've seen the ads for the "upgraded" Dufferin Mall. My guess is it's the 2nd - G&M perception. They are such wannabe snobs.

CQ said...

I was just there recently: same old blaring music out of a handful of shops selling their $5-$19 shirts, as always, and the recently installed replacement escalator at Walmart wasn't working. Plus an odour of vegetables from Walmart's new main floor food section.