Sunday, July 19, 2009

Things They Should Study: how does commercial sodium content compare with the amount of salt people use when left to their own devices?

Commercial canned soups tend to have an unhealthily high sodium content. Sodium-free or genuinely low-sodium soups tend to be rather bland and people are inclined to want to add salt.

Research idea: give the subjects sodium-free versions of high-sodium commercial soups, instruct them to add salt to taste, and see how the end result compares with the sodium content of commercial soups.

3 comments:

Bruce Truman said...

I remembered one song of Michael Jackson: “it is too high to get over, too low to get under, you are stuck in the middle and pain is thunder…”

Too salty to use canned, too bland to use sodium-free ones…

laura k said...

Sodium free isn't really necesasry. If you use a tiny bit of salt when you're cooking, along with other spices, it brings out all the flavours. It can replace a huge amount of salt poured on at the table.

Whereas if you ate something that was sodium free, you might add a lot of salt and it would never taste right.

We haven't kept a salt shaker on our table and added salt to a cooked meal in 20 years or so. But I cook low salt, not no salt. I think that's the key.

impudent strumpet said...

I actually do crave the salt specifically. Using other flavours to attempt to replace the salt is like trying to get rid of a chocolate craving by eating fruit.

I've noticed that most of my sodium intake comes from commercial foods (soups, sauces, etc.) rather than salty foods (chips, peanuts etc.) so I've been trying to go towards sodium-free versions of things that don't sate my salt cravings. I've made a noticeable difference in my blood pressure just by switching to a sodium-free tomato sauce, but soup is still problematic since I do seem to prefer a salty soup. (Making it from scratch isn't an option as long as I'm working full-time.)