Thursday, July 02, 2009

The other problem with all this anti-labour sentiment

It's draining me. I'm just getting so tired of hearing from all these loud people wanting to sentence others to poverty, hearing between the lines that they want to sentence me to bugs crawling out of my walls, that I'm starting to avoid news. Especially since so many other things in the news and politics also seem to be people wanting to ruin other people's lives.

Everyone should have a bug-free home, dental care whenever they need it, and to be able to grocery shop without budgeting. People's human rights should be respected. People with power should act with noblesse oblige. People should give others the benefit of the doubt, especially when it doesn't hurt them any to do so.

I don't want to be blogging about these things. They should be so obvious and inherent that they don't even bear thinking about. I should be inventing stuff, not blogging about why garbage men deserve to live above the LICO.

So here's a squirrel eating a lemon, shamelessly yoinked from the always-awesome Malene Arpe

4 comments:

Mac said...

Ok, all is fine and good. I have no quarrel with most of your comments. But if the City has effectively offered to freeze wages (one per cent increase over three years has been reported), then I can't see how that would put the workers below the low income cut-off (LICO).

If freezing wages puts them below the LICO, then the workers must be below it already. Does anyone in Toronto get paid less than $12.00 per hour for hauling garbage all day? I doubt it. LICO? Aren't you overstating your point just a bit there? Or a lot?

impudent strumpet said...

I'm not talking about the City's offer, I'm talking about public opinion (which also isn't talking about the City's offer). I've seen so much hatred and anger at the fact that garbage men earn what they do, so many people calling for them all to be fired and be replaced with contract workers who do earn less than $12 an hour with no security or sick days at all, that I'm terrified. Both that there are so many so hateful people out there, and by the fact that if they want the garbage workers to be so poor, they're going to want me to be even poorer.

Anonymous said...

Isn't the city also proposing to eliminate seniority so they can fire higher-paid workers? I'd say that was more important that the sick-days benefit the press is pushing so hard.

impudent strumpet said...

Eww, really? That's not very nice at all!