Saturday, July 18, 2009

Things They Should Invent: partial basket of goods CPI

Apparently the inflation rate was negative in June, due primarily to lower gas prices.

I don't know about June specifically but I have been feeling inflation lately. And, as it happens, I don't have a car so I don't buy gas. (I know that gas prices should theoretically also impact the price of consumer goods, but you can see how I'm not feeling it as much as someone who drives a car.)

So this got me wondering what the inflation rate for products and services I actually do buy is.

They could totally calculate this. They know what's in the basket of goods, they know how much each of the goods cost, they're dealing with real numbers that actually happened - they could totally write a program to calculate all this stuff and put it up on a website similar to the inflation calculator.

No comments: