Wednesday, July 01, 2009

New Rule: never say midnight

I'm following the news of a potential Globe & Mail strike, and they're now saying that the strike deadline is midnight Thursday.

Does that mean it's 12:00 AM on Thursday, i.e. tonight either before or shortly after I go to bed? Or does that mean it's Thursday night, i.e. after I've slept tonight and gone to work on Thursday and gone home and either before or shortly after I go to bed that night?

To make things like this clear, they should use 11:59. If the deadline is tonight, they should say it's 11:59 on Wednesday night.

I also have this problem sometimes with TV schedules for Craig Ferguson and whoever is current competitor is. (Used to be Conan, but I think Conan is now an hour earlier to replace Leno or something.) These shows are on at 12:35. I don't watch them with great regularity, only when they're having a guest I'm interested in. Some sources list the show by the day it's technically on, some by the evening it feels like to the viewer. For example, I'm writing this at 1:45 PM on a Wednesday. The next episode of Craig Ferguson is on at 12:35 AM on Thursday. But if I were to watch it, it would be before I go to bed tonight, so it would feel like Wednesday night in my mind. If I'm looking to see what day a specific guest is on, I feel like I have to check multiple sources to make sure I get it right, often checking the source's listings for the whole week to see if they're counting starting on Monday or Tuesday.

They need a standard way to do this. The best way I can think of is to specify "Wednesday night/Thursday morning," but a single universal standard that literally everyone uses would work.

No comments: