Wednesday, July 01, 2009

I wonder what my subconscious's criteria for dream material are?

I sometimes dream about being a child (although in the vast majority of those dreams I'm in the back of my parents' car going somewhere boring). I sometimes dream about being in high school (although most of the time it's that dream where I've forgotten to take a class and I wake up thinking "Wait a minute, don't I have enough credits to graduate? And now that I think about it, don't I have a job and an apartment in Toronto?"). In most dreams I'm just generically myself, sometimes I'm inserted into various fictional universes, I've had one or two where I'm wandering around my middle school (but, fortunately, not a student there).

But I've never ever in my life dreamed about translating.

I've been translating for six years. I was only in high school for five years. I wonder why translation hasn't shown up in my dreams yet? I've had one dream where I was in the general vicinity of my office because my co-workers needed to show up and catch me doing something "bad" for plot purposes, but none about actual work.

And now that I think about it, university hasn't shown up in my dreams yet either. The "OMG I forgot to go to class!" dreams are always high school.

The majority of dreams have no particular setting, but the only places I've been before adulthood show up as recurring real-life settings. Which is odd, because when I dream myself into fictional universes, they're always from fandoms I've gotten involved in since adulthood.

I wonder what this all means? I wonder if other people notice similar patterns?

4 comments:

laura k said...

I almost never dream about myself in my current life.

Often I'm in the room I shared with my sister, in the house I grew up in.

It's as if our subconscious minds dwell exclusively in the past.

impudent strumpet said...

I wish I could remember more clearly what I dreamed about when I was a kid. I tried a dream diary for a while in grade 9. It didn't work to well because I'm not a morning person so I just didn't have time to write down dreams before I had to drag myself out of bed and rush to school, but the few things I'd recorded were either specifically in the then-present (e.g. in my grade 9 music class that I was then taking IRL), or in a non-specific present (i.e. I was just generically myself).

I wish I remembered what I dreamed when I was even younger than that though.

laura k said...

It would be very cool to know that. I had a lot of scary dreams in those days, but I don't remember what they were.

impudent strumpet said...

So did I. That reminds me of something else I was going to blog.