Sunday, June 29, 2008

Tits.

The Globe and Mail thinks that La Senza's dropping sales of the ITEC bra and rising sales of cotton bras are a sign of poor economic times.

This is interesting to me, because last year I tried on the ITEC and the cotton and ended up buying the cotton. (Unfortunately, because La Senza changes its styles so frequently, the style I blogged about there is no longer available.)

This wasn't because the cotton was cheaper, but rather because it gave me a better shape. My issue is that I do have the resources, but their distribution is suboptimal. The ITEC seems to work on an equalization model, where all affected areas are allocated an equal amount of resources. However, the cotton leverages the resources available by assigning them specifically to areas where they can best serve their mandate of mitigating worrisome inflationary trends to the south. I'd have been happy to spend more on the ITEC, but the cotton simply did the job better.

And now apparently La Senza is trying to take the next logical step in this alleged trend by making cotton bras fun and interesting-looking. But the problem is that this year t-shirts are very thin, so if the bra is anything but plain solid nude it shows underneath the t-shirt. Even a plain black bra shows underneath a plain black t-shirt. And I'm not talking about straps sticking out, I'm talking about people can see straight through the shirt and identify the colour of your bra and any decorations on it. (Q: Why don't you just wear last year's t-shirts? A: I do, but I go through shirts too fast so I need to buy a few new ones every season. Q: Why don't you just wear last year's bras? A: Because the elastics either just have or are about to die a horrible death. They are cheap bras.) I do see the point of fun bras, but we do need underwear in addition to lingerie, and I think they're doing themselves a disservice by making all their cotton bras fun and colourful with whimsical patterns.

No comments: