Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Push-ups

When puberty happened, I lost the ability to do push-ups. It had always been a struggle, but my pathetic upper-body strength just couldn't keep up with my growth spurt and changing shape. I struggle just to do knee push-ups when the exercise lady on TV has push-ups in the workout, and just one foot push-up is my physical limit. But it has become clear that the ability to do push-ups would address most of my upper-body flaws.

So I came out with a brilliant plan. I would start by doing one push-up the first day, then two the second day, etc. etc. adding one a day. If I started on June 1, I could be doing 100 by the end of the summer!

So on June 1 I did one push-up then felt good and virtuous for the rest of the day. On June 2, I did two, but the second wasn't nearly as easy as the first. One June 3, I did 3, and was really pushing my limit on the third. Today I tried 4, but I couldn't do more than 2! I had to take a break and then do the third, and then take another break and do the fourth. This is never going to work!

If you feel the need to mock or taunt me for not being able to do push-ups, you are free to do so, but only if you also explain to me why you think that would be productive. Many times in my life I have had people mock or taunt and judge me for not being able to do push-ups, and it seemed like they thought doing this was going to make me be able to do push-ups, so I'm interested in the logic behind that.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you thought about doing easier pushups--say, from the knees rather than from your feet? Using your progression system, you could probably go on to do regular pushups in time.

laura k said...

Have you considered using light free weights to build upper body strength?

I've never done push-ups - never even tried. It looks extremely unappealing to me. But I enjoy working with free weights.

You can start with soup cans. Or if you invest in a few little weights, they last forever, are extremely easy to use, and are guaranteed to work if you set reasonable goals.

I'm amazed anyone would mock you for not being able to do push-ups. Geez. Why would anyone care?

Also, I thought this post was going to be about bras.

laura k said...

Also, give yourself more time to progress. Muscle mass does not build up that quickly.

impudent strumpet said...

I've been doing knee push-ups and free weights as part of a regular regime for five years, and it has never given me the ability to do those military-style feet pushups. So I figured the only way to get it was to force myself to do feet pushups.

Today I actually did five all in a row, and didn't struggle until the upwards stroke of the last push-up, so I don't know what's up with that.

I'm amazed anyone would mock you for not being able to do push-ups. Geez. Why would anyone care?

Military training and/or hardcore athletic training. I think they're brainwashed.

Also, I thought this post was going to be about bras.

Well, it would have been thematically consistent. I've been far girlier than usual lately, I have no idea why.

laura k said...

Maybe those feet push-ups aren't as important as you think. If you're using free weights, you're getting stronger anyway. Yes? No?

impudent strumpet said...

I don't even know if I'm getting stronger. I don't use my muscles for anything but exercise. If this doesn't prevent osteoporosis when I'm old, I'm going to be pissed!