Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Dear Abby misfires

This guy is tired of living in the shadow of his more popular and attractive younger brother. He concludes by saying:

I know I shouldn't compare myself to Chaz, but it hasn't been easy living in his shadow and being seen by everyone as "just his brother." It has done a real number on my self-esteem. What can I do to not let this affect me so much? Should I move someplace where nobody knows him?


Abby starts her answer with:

Let's follow that last sentence to its logical conclusion. You move far away from Chaz -- and then what? Pretend you're an only child? What if he comes to visit? What if you meet someone special and want to introduce her to the family? Only as a last resort should you take such drastic action.


That is incorrect. From firsthand experience as the older sibling of a more attractive, talented and popular younger sibling, I can assure you that moving away does help. You don't have to pretend that you don't have a sibling, it just helps to be in a place where people don't know your sibling and aren't going to compare you to them (and you aren't going to get the impression that they're comparing you to them). You also get the bonus of not having your sibling's accomplishments in your face every day. Carving out your identity as your own person instead of as compared with someone else is far easier to do when you don't see your "competitor" on a daily basis. Moving away, even temporarily, will help.

1 comment:

laura k said...

Word. You are totally right.