Monday, April 18, 2005

Star Wars characterization problems (contains the very most minor of spoilers for RotS)

In Attack of the Clones, it is quite obvious that Anakin loves Padmé. However, it is not so obvious that Padmé loves Anakin. She goes through all the motions of loving him and says she loves him and marries him at the end, but as I'm watching the movie I'm not actually feeling the love from her like I am from Anakin.

I didn't notice this at first because I was kind of experiencing the movie from Anakin's point of view, but it becomes more important in Revenge of the Sith. I'm not going to fully spoil this (although it isn't much of a spoiler), but the fact that Anakin loves Padmé more than anything is important to the plot, and the fact that Padmé loves Anakin more than anything is important to the plot. While I can intellectually accept them as a married couple based on the characterization to date, and while I can see based on the characterization to date that Anakin madly and passionately and eternally loves Padmé beyond anything else, I'm not seeing the same depth of love coming from Padmé. And in RotS, her love needs to be just as intense as Anakin's.

I think when it comes to building the romance, George Lucas is telling, not showing, and I'm afraid the final film may suffer for that.

No comments: