Friday, April 22, 2005

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

This is such a good book! The main character is fascinating - he's a psychotic serial killer who works as a forensic lab technician using his knowledge of criminology gained from his job and from his late policeman father to put on every appearance of being normal, while sating his need to kill by becoming a vigilante, killing only those deserve it. Then one day, a copycat serial killer turns up, and Dexter tries to track him down to help his police-officer sister's career, all while trying to hide his own psychotic proclivities.

It sounds strange that I would enjoy a book about a serial killer, but this is very well done. It has only the absolute bare minimum gore and sensationalism necessary, and the author manages to portray the protagonist (who is also the first person narrator) in such a way that it seems realistic (at least to me, although I don't know that many psychotic serial killers) but I still didn't mind being in his head.

I thought I had the whole mystery figured out abuot two-thirds of the way through, but it turned out I wasn't even close. Then we're thrown a couple more twists at the very very end, making the conclusion most satisfying. The author bio on the back flap says he's in the process of writing another book about Dexter, and I can't wait!

No comments: