Sunday, April 17, 2005

How to study for a language exam

My original plan was to do all the previous years' exams, have my grandmother (a native speaker) mark them for me, and use that as a basis for where to focus my studying. However, I ended up not being able to do this because of scheduling conflicts, so I decided to mark the practice exams myself.

That was SUCH a serendipitiously good idea!

I don't have an answer key, so to mark the practice exams I have to look up the answer to every single question that I'm not 100% sure of. Most of the questions are applying my grammatical knowledge rather than spewing back vocabulary, so I have to look up the grammatical rules, understand them fully, and apply them to the example in question. It takes forever (it took me twice as long to mark the first exam as it took me to write it), but it is SO effective!

No comments: