Thursday, April 07, 2005

My thoughts on the recently-made-public sponsorship testimony

Same disclaimer as before still applies: I have not read the evidence that is under a publication ban, I have only read what has been published in major national dailies. I currently do not wish to be pointed in the direction of any banned evidence or commentary thereon.

My very first thought upon reading what was made public today: Is that all?

With all the hype it was getting, I thought it would be something that directly and severely hurts people - extortion, death threats, taking advantage of desperate refugees, dealing with the mob, trading in sexual favours from third parties, smuggling illegal goods, trafficking in human beings - something hardcore like that. Turns out it was just more financial back-scratching. Which is what was already going on. Not that said financial back-scratching is commendable behaviour, but it's nothing new - same ethical plane, just a different scale. Based on the information I have now, I think the media was making too big a deal of this. I reserve the right to change my opinion when I've read about the information that is currently still under publication ban.

No comments: