Friday, April 29, 2005

Pierre Sparr Alsace One

I read that Alsace wines, which I'd never heard of before, were suddenly becoming the next big thing or something, so I decided to try this one because, like, it has "Alsace" in the name, so it must be representative!

Like one of the wine critics warned, the bottle is inconveniently tall, so it doesn't fit very well in my fridge - I have to wedge it in the door shelf kind of diagonally, taking up enough space for two normal bottles.

The wine itself, however, is very interesting. It's the most complex white I've ever tasted, probably because it's a blend of five different whites, not all of which I've heard of before. It has some aspect of almost everything I've ever tasted in a white wine (except, fortunately, that weird smokey taste that is part of Viognier), and different elements are brought out when you drink it with different foods. It makes me want to actively experiment and try it with various weird things just to see what will happen. (Yes, the "What does this button do?" school of oenology...) It's certainly worth trying, as long as you can make room in your fridge for a slightly-taller-than-convenient bottle.

No comments: