Saturday, April 02, 2005

Pope Overload

I wonder how people who have nothing to do with catholicsm feel about this wall-to-wall coverage of the Pope's death?

I was raised catholic and my heritage is Polish, so I see where all the passionate mourners are coming from; I'm also rather fascinated by the idea and everyday life of the pope, the same way I'm fascinated by the everyday life of royalty. What does his bathroom look like? What does he wear when he isn't in costume? What does he watch on TV? The result is that, even though I'm not mourning myself, I find all this media coverage quite interesting. But I'm also rather surrounded by people of catholic heritage, so I don't know if all this fuss is actually of interest to anyone else. What does the rest of the world think?

4 comments:

mcgibfried said...

nothing blew up in iraq today.. just filling the gaps!

Me said...

Well I was never religious and am not fascinated by the Pope in any way, but I'm certainly not offended or annoyed by the amount of coverage. I think everyone understands in some way how much he meant to so many people...I guess I can't understand exactly how, but I understand that he's important. So it's still interesting.

CQ said...

_Any bets on when (not if) the DVD comes out; book biographies will of course be as plentiful as during the O.J. trial. I never wanted to be informed near-hourly of an elderly man's (even a pope's) 'progress' to death!

impudent strumpet said...

Actually, I found the hour-by-hour reports really interesting, because it sort of painted a picture of what actually happens as a person dies. It had nothing to do with the fact that he was the pope, I just liked learning that a person's blood pressure drops and breathing becomes shallow and kidneys fail and blood slowly becomes poisoned and they fade in and out of consciousness...it sounds longer and slower and more uncomfortable than I'd previously thought, and I'm glad to know that.