Thursday, June 26, 2003

Ooh look, a new blogger template! And now for some non-cohesive thoughts:

- On the subway, there was a lady reading a newspaper. Next to her, there was a lady with a baby in her lap. Newspaper Lady has the extra sections of her paper in her lap. The baby reaches over, grabs one of the sections, throws it on the floor, and giggles madly. Newspaper Lady picks it up, laughs, and puts it back on her lap. The baby grabs it again and starts waving it around, then throws it on the floor. Newspaper lady is highly amused, so she picks up the paper, rolls it up in a tube, and hands it to the baby. The baby bops her on the head with it.

- In front of me in line in the grocery store there were two middle-aged men bickering over the fact that one of their mothers had taken it upon herself to order their wedding cake without consulting with them. I love this city! I also love the fact that in one year, this won't be anecdote worthy.

- Working on medical texts makes me a psychosomatic hypercondriac. Today I've diagnosed myself with chronic depression, fibromylagia, and irritable bowel syndrome, just from reading about them too much.

- This morning I was tired and grumpy. I had my brekkie but it didn't wake me up. So on the way to work I went to Second Cup, and got a cup of Early Edition coffee. By the time I got to the office, I was a genius. I was plowing through texts, reading difficult handwriting, everything was working. So tomorrow I'm going to get another cup of this coffee and see if it has the same effect tomorrow.

- My cooling strategy: I leave my curtains closed during the day so the apartment doesn't heat up. I open the windows at night if and only if it's cooler outside than inside. When I'm home, I set the air conditioner to a level that will make me comfortable. But when I'm out, I set it as cold as it will go, so the apartment will get cooler overall. I know this sounds like a waste of energy, but I know that one day my building's air conditioning will die at 5:30 when everyone gets home and turns up the air. So I'm being prepared by pre-cooling as much as possible

No comments: